If you wish to make a difference in places where free media is under threat or does not exist, RFE/RL offers eligible, qualified students the opportunity to engage with professionals and to learn more about our mission. In doing so, you would acquire direct, practical experience with the support of a mentor. Internships are a competitive process and are unpaid. We offer skills development and an opportunity to contribute to an exciting media project.
Kazakh Service Team is seeking a Prague-based intern for assistance with journalistic projects. The internship is planned for spring and summer 2019. Expected attendance is 20-25 hours a week, depending on the projects. Days per week are flexible and depend on agreement with the mentor.
The internship will provide practical training in news production and a deeper understanding of news organizations. Depending on the level and breadth of skills, the intern will have the chance to participate fully in preparing news material of different formats (e.g. articles, videos, reports on social media etc.). Among the intern’s main responsibilities will be gathering information, generating ideas and investigating the selected topics, writing texts and/or presenting video.
You will learn:
- about the work of Kazakh Service in RFE/RL.
- how to write for TV and present TV news.
- how to prepare video reports and promote reports on social media.
- how to write for the website.
Minimum requirements are:
- Enrolled university student or recent graduate – must be in good standing.
- High proficiency in written and oral Kazakh and Russian.
- Fluent English.
- Good communication skills.
- Experience in writing journalistic text is an advantage.
- An ability to find reliable information and detect trends in media topics is an advantage.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and to work in team.
- Interest and awareness in news and current affairs from RFE/RL’s broadcast regions.