RFE/RL is looking for a Visual Journalist/Newsroom Developer to produce fantastic interactive visualizations as part of our Prague-based Digital Team. The person in this role will help produce visual narratives, while also collaborating with our small, dedicated team of visual journalists and others across RFE/RL. You’ll help bring ideas to life with code – everything from daily news graphics and visualizations to large-scale projects that advance the way we tell stories in the digital space. We're flexible on your exact skill set as long as you are a team player, curious, creative, and willing to learn. You’ll report to the Graphics and Data Editor in RFE/RL’s English-language Central Newsroom. Interested? Send your CV along with portfolio samples and a cover letter in English using the Apply button below.
- Identify and pitch visual story ideas.
- Develop and execute visually led stories for daily, long-form, and breaking news, including interactive and static maps, charts and infographics. From conceptualization to delivery.
- Collaborate with other visual journalists to refine standards and best practices for storytelling forms including data visualizations, interactives, photography, illustrations, and animations.
- Acquire, curate, develop and edit data sets for infographics and interactives.
- College degree or 3 or more years of Newsroom professional experience.
- Combination of editing experience, data analysis (R, Python, Node, etc.), experience with more advanced JS libraries (React, three.js, etc),
- Experience developing multimedia visualizations, with an online portfolio of recent projects/work
- Mapping and graphics skills (Illustrator, AI2html, QGIS)
- Should have experience working in news media
- Someone who is highly motivated and enthusiastic about excellent visual journalism
- Well-organized with the ability to generate original ideas consistently
- A quick learner, eager to adopt new tools and methods such as video editing and producing
- Comfortable working collaboratively and individually, with the ability to multitask and prioritize with little supervision
- Attention to detail, strong communication skills, and ability to meet deadlines in a fast-paced newsroom environment are crucial
- Knowledge of Russian is an advantage