RFE/RL’s Central Newsroom is looking for a senior correspondent with excellent reporting skills and a great eye for compelling stories to join its Washington, DC, bureau. The successful candidate will have a wide brief, from covering U.S. stories, to doing stints on our 24/7 news desk, to writing articles about events in RFE/RL's coverage region. Our ideal candidate is a journalist with at least five years' experience. You are a team player with a flexible schedule and used to working under tight deadlines. You have excellent writing and editing skills, a good working knowledge of Russian, and an impressive rolodex that ideally includes contacts in U.S. government. Experience with social media and web posting is also desirable. You will be proactive in generating and delivering news, features, analyses, and interviews that have a connection to RFE/RL’s region, particularly Russia and Ukraine. This is an exciting opportunity for an ambitious journalist to reach a broad regional and international audience. The successful candidate will report to the director of RFE/RL's English-language Central Newsroom in Prague.
- Pitches and delivers engaging, original stories, and prepared to work across platforms.
- Final product can include, but is not limited to: news, full-length features, interviews, and longer investigative stories.
- Education: Journalism or related field
- Minimum five years’ journalism experience
- Knowledge of at least one country or region in RFE/RL’s coverage area
- Ability to work quickly and accurately under tight deadlines
- Ability to deliver quality, accurate products with minimal supervision
- Ability to deal with a wide variety of source material
- English language (native), mandatory
- Russian language (advanced), mandatory
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. If selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package to include locality pay for employees based in Washington D.C.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.