Reporting to the Director of Communications (DC), the incumbent works with senior RFE/RL managers in their Congressional and government affairs liaison efforts; proactively interacts with Congressional offices to educate and inform them about the work of RFE/RL; serves as a point of contact for and responds to inquiries from U.S. government offices concerning RFE/RL; monitors and reports to RFE/RL senior managers on developments within Congress and the USG that affect the operations of RFE/RL; interacts with colleagues at USAGM and its broadcast entities on issues related to congressional liaison duties; proposes and drafts specialized communications products for stakeholders and monitors responses and interest.
Incumbent, as an integral part of the External Affairs team, also monitors U.S. media for developments affecting RFE/RL and provides support for media outreach and social media outreach missions; and carries out other duties as assigned.
- Works within the framework of RFE/RL and its oversight organization to provide support to senior RFE/RL managers in their dealings with U.S. legislative and executive branch officials to raise RFE/RL’s profile in furthering key relationships; develops a structured follow-up procedure for tracking and responding to such interactions.
- Is responsible for managing the timely and thorough handling of all Congressional and USG queries.
- Develops, drafts and disseminates targeted outreach products to Government offices, including Congressional letters.
- Develops a comprehensive and proactive strategy for outreach.
- Proactively interacts with key U.S. congressional offices; works with offices planning congressional delegations (CODEL) and staff delegations (STAFFDEL) to plan and organize visits to RFE/RL's Prague operations.
- Serves as a point of contact for U.S. congressional and other USG inquiries to RFE/RL; facilitates informational visits by Members of Congress and their staffs.
- Monitors and reports on relevant legislative proposals, upcoming Congressional meetings and hearings, and Congressional testimony and briefings.
- Researches and reports on new policy or regulatory developments or changes which may affect any of RFE/RL’s current or future USG funded programs and expanded support especially as it relates to RFE/RL’s target countries
- Monitors and reports on USG developments that affect RFE/RL and works with RFE/RL executives as well as staff at the USAGM and its broadcast entities to respond to them.
- Provides support for Washington office outreach/events program, helping to organize RL informative meetings, briefings, and other RFE/RL events, as well as prepare social media postings and press releases as needed.
- Monitors U.S. press for developments affecting RFE/RL and provides support for media outreach mission.
University degree in Political Science, Communications, International Relations, Journalism or related field or equivalent of education and related experience.
A minimum of 5 (five) years’ total experience working in the legislative or executive branch of the U.S. Government, or in a relevant government relations position. 2-5 years’ experience with communications work, either in public or private sector.
- Demonstrated ability to operate independently and draft communications products without editorial assistance.
- Proactive self-starter with demonstrated interest in and knowledge of the mission of RFE/RL and U.S. international broadcasting.
- Discretion and professionalism and ability to manage highly sensitive issues.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to negotiate and effectively advocate on behalf of the organization.
- Sound judgment and integrity.
- Exceptional multi-tasking, with good organizational skills and follow-through.
- High level of energy and enthusiasm with ability to work under the pressure of constant deadlines.
- Goal oriented with ability to think strategically and translate that thinking into action plans that accomplish goals.
- Native level written and spoken English; demonstrated excellent verbal and written communications skills.
- RFE/RL target country language is a plus.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a D.C. basis only. Candidates for these positions must reside within commuting distance of Washington D.C., or be willing to relocate. If selected for a D.C.-based position from another part of the United States, RFE/RL would cover the costs of interview travel and relocation upon appointment. RFE/RL offers a competitive salary and benefits package to include locality pay for employees based in Washington D.C.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment check from public sources.
With respect to the above, all applicants are informed that:
RFE/RL may use information from public sources during its selection process to perform one-time pre-employment checks which are conducted by RFE/RL; personal data (mainly name, surname, address, date of birth, personal identification number, telephone number, e-mail address ) will be collected and processed by RFE/RL for a maximum period of one year.