RFE/RL seeks a dynamic, forward-thinking professional to supervise the activities of the Prague office of its Communications & Public Affairs team. The Communications & Public Affairs Manager leads communications, outreach, and events management in RFE/RL’s Prague headquarters aimed at positioning and promoting RFE/RL’s work as a mission-driven organization dedicated to advancing and promoting democratic values and awareness in its target regions through objective, fact-based reporting. Working closely with the Director of Communications & Public Affairs and managing a small team of Prague-based staff, the incumbent is responsible for managing RFE/RL’s public relations in its host country, the Czech Republic, as well as contributing to front-line support of RFE/RL’s journalists in Prague and in its broadcast countries. As such, s/he will be responsible for managing outreach to Czech government institutions and Prague-based civil society groups, VIP visits to the Hagibor headquarters, meetings and representational events for the RFE/RL CEO, and all Prague-based building tours, promotional campaigns, and awareness-building opportunities for RFE/RL. With proximity to RFE/RL’s operational environment, the incumbent will also be responsible for first-response crisis coordination for journalists in trouble and will help coordinate expert-level speaking opportunities for RFE/RL journalists.
- Oversee and manage Prague-based daily activities of Communications & Public Affairs office.
- In coordination with Director, Communications & Public Affairs, manage Prague-based meetings and public events for RFE/RL CEO and other senior staff.
- Act as the public “face” of RFE/RL in Prague, liaising with Czech government officials, diplomatic community, and in-country partners and NGOs.
- Seek opportunities to leverage Czech and EU policy initiatives to support RFE/RL’s work.
- Help facilitate working-level discussions and outreach as needed between RFE/RL and relevant Czech institutions.
- Oversee RFE/RL building tours and look for opportunities to build awareness of RFE/RL and foster community engagement in the Czech Republic.
- Act as “first responder” on crisis management for RFE/RL journalists in Prague or in target countries, coordinating with News, HR, Legal, and Finance managers to ensure quick support for journalists in trouble.
- Coordinate with Director, Communications & Public Affairs on longer-term messaging on journalists in trouble, including outreach to USG, European governments, and relevant watchdog groups; help generate content for RFE/RL press releases and digital communications platforms.
- Coordinate activities for RFE/RL’s journalism fellows, including the Vaclav Havel Journalism Fellowship and the Jiri Dienstbier Journalism Fellowship.
- Coordinate with Director, Communications & Public Affairs on development of annual communications/marketing plan and calendar for public and media relations, special events, and government relations.
- Develop and direct the promotion of RFE/RL content and expertise in Czech and European media to strengthen company visibility, impact and support.
- Journalism, international relations, communications, political relations, or related field MA - master’s degree or the equivalent in experience.
- A proven record of success or combination of work experience and/or education in: communications, journalism, marketing, public/media relations, or public affairs/government relations. 5+ years experience working in these areas for a government institution, non-profit or other complex fast-paced organization with tight deadlines. (Mandatory).
- Previous experience working in a multicultural or a multinational environment; or experience living and working abroad, preferably in relevant RFE/RL target regions and/or experience working in the legislative or executive branch of the U.S. Government or in a relevant government relations position. Management and project leadership experience. (Desirable)
- Solid contacts with Czech Foreign Ministry and other government institutions desirable; familiarity with EU political arena a plus.
- A strong understanding of international policy issues relevant to RFE/RL’s broadcast countries; good knowledge of RFE/RL geographies acquired through relevant studies, travel, or other exposure.
- Understanding of international organizations such as the EU, OSCE, NATO, and others.
- Knowledge of the Czech and EU media environment as well as principles and practices of proper use of communication channels, with strong organizational, people, and marketing skills.
- Ability to understand and work across a wide range of cultural and political contexts reflecting RFE/RL’s various locations and regional presence.
- Proven management experience and ability to react quickly and flexibly to evolving needs in a fast-moving and sometimes unpredictable environment.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise judgment and discretion in evaluating and presenting RFE/RL’s image and accomplishments.
- Professional, energetic ability to take initiative with demonstrated poise, tact, and diplomacy, including with confidential or sensitive information.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm with an entrepreneurial mind-set, a solid command of digital communication tools.
- Fluent Czech and legal authorization to work in the Czech Republic (Mandatory).
- Fluency in written and spoken English; must be able to write to publication-ready standards (Mandatory).
- Proficiency in Czech or Russian (Desirable).
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the law (no. 101/2000 Sb. regarding personal data protection). This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle zákona č. 101/2000 Sb., o ochraně osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy notice for applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to regulations imposed on RFE/RL in order to finance its operations and due to contractual arrangements between RFE/RL and USAGM set up in its Grant Agreement, RFE/RL must ensure that every candidate, who enters into the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL undergoes a pre-employment check from public sources and a background security investigation/check after the acceptance of RFE/RL´s offer letter.
With respect to the above, all applicants are informed that:
• RFE/RL may use information from public sources during its selection process to perform one-time pre-employment checks which are conducted by RFE/RL; personal data (mainly name, surname, address, date of birth, personal identification number, telephone number, e-mail address ) will be collected and processed by RFE/RL for a maximum period of one year.
• Employment at RFE/RL is contingent upon the successful completion of a background security investigation/check performed after the acceptance of RFE/RL´s offer letter. Information about the collection and processing of personal data in this matter will be provided together with the offer letter.