We are looking for a Senior Digital Editor to join the Current Time digital team. You will act as the Managing Editor deputy and assist the Managing Editor in implementing the team’s goals and objectives. You will be responsible for daily, weekly, and monthly planning, and the content in Current Time’s social media team. You will also provide editorial oversight of content produced by the team, ensuring that all content meets RFE/RL editorial standards. You will guide content production by picking up trends on Russian language social media and through enterprise discovery - finding those things that haven't yet been widely discovered and giving them editorial light. You will produce content both for the website and for direct distribution on social platforms. You will also keep the team updated throughout the day on trending topics and other potential stories discovered through social.
- Management: Coordinates assignments and edits work of Current Time’s digital team. Trains new staff and performs other related duties associated with day to day operational requirements.
- Provides oversight of content produced by social media and web teams.
- Leads digital team’s coordination with the Pangea team, ensuring that web products meet highest industry standards.
- Directs and plans graphic projects and oversees graphic artist for digital team.
- Produces content specifically geared for social media use across platforms.
- Produces original content in Russian both for the website and for native sharing on social media.
- Uses journalistic acumen to find stories that are both likely to be shared and meet RFE/RL standards.
- Mines the web for news leads and develops news stories.
- Works with web-ready news and feature content mixing traditional story-forms with digital and social-centric reporting.
- Keeps social media team and Current Time team updated throughout the day on trending topics and stories worth exploring.
- Works with Russian language web editors to promote original RFE/RL content across social media.
- Advises social media editor on planning for social and digital coverage.
- Higher education or Bachelor degree in communication, journalism or related field or the equivalent in experience.
- 8+ years of experience in digital journalism in news organization
- Strong news and editorial judgment
- Working knowledge of social monitoring platforms like Tweetdeck, Topsy and Storyful
- Broad knowledge of political, economic, and social situations in the broadcast area as well as international affairs acquired through studies, research, writing, travel, or other relevant experience or exposure
- Excellent writing in a news environment and demonstrated ability to work with social and digital media to both find content and disseminate it.
- Adapts to and works effectively within a variety of situations, and with various individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, and changing or easily accepting changes in one’ s own organization or job requirements.
- Russian Fluency, mandatory
- Proficiency in English, desirable