If you wish to make a difference in places where free media is under threat or does not exist, RFE/RL offers eligible, qualified students the opportunity to engage with professionals and to learn more about our mission. In doing so, you would acquire direct, practical experience with the support of a mentor. Internships are a competitive process and are unpaid. We offer skills development and an opportunity to contribute to an exciting media project. Our Current Time DIGIM Team (digital media team) is seeking a Prague-based intern for production/editorial assistance with an English-language digital project. The selected intern should be able to start as soon as possible and provide support at least until mid-February 2019. The intern would be expected to assist the project at least 16 hours per week. Days per week are flexible and depend on agreement with the mentor. The internship will provide practical training in website production and a deeper understanding of how to tell online stories in English in text and video. The intern will also learn about working in a cross-language environment (in particular, via translating or making use of translations from Russian to English) and will have the chance to participate fully in preparing digital material for launch.
You will learn:
- about the work of the DIGIM team.
- how to use media-friendly language for storytelling.
- how to use text/video to tell a story that captures viewers’ imagination.
- how to use research/reporting in one language to tell a convincing story in another.
Minimum requirements are:
- Enrolled university student or recent graduate – must be in good standing.
- An educational background or work experience in digital journalism (TV or print is also acceptable).
- Basic knowledge of video editing, including subtitling (Adobe Premiere) is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Adobe After Effects is a plus.
- The selected candidate should have a laptop with an appropriate word-processing and/or video-editing software.
- High proficiency in written and oral English and Russian.
- Experience in translating (from Russian into American English) is an advantage.
- Keen interest in social media and social-media outlets.
- An ability to find reliable information and detect trends in media topics and media consumers' interests is an advantage.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines.
- Ability to multitask and to work in team.
- Interest and awareness in news and current affairs from RFE/RL’s broadcast regions.