Reporting to the CFO but with strong dotted lines to the CFO’s direct reports, the incumbent is responsible for managing and improving RFE/RL’s financial processes, procedures, and systems to ensure that a) its information systems capture and generate the data necessary to enable coherent, decision-quality analyses for senior management, b) its budget systems and processes ensure that grant funds are efficiently, effectively, and strategically allocated, and c) its overall approach to financial management enhances its reputation as a strong, well-managed, and compliant organization to include:
- Working across all Finance organizations to improve processes and systems that will ensure consistency in substance, format, and timely delivery of RFE/RL’s internal and external budgeting and reporting requirements through automation, process improvement, and accountability
- Working across all Finance organizations to develop standard reporting formats that capture key performance indicators and other metrics to ensure RFE/RL’s resources are applied to their highest and best use and variances to plan are identified timely
- Working across all Finance organizations to ensure there are consistent, well-articulated processes and procedures in place and that it develops and pursues a culture of continuous improvement and customer service
Works with the Director, FP&A, to a) increase the ability to capture, track, and present senior management’s allocation decisions, and b) ensure ad hoc reports and analyses are of decision-quality for presentation to the Senior Leadership Team (SLT), the CEO, the Board, and USAGM, to include:
- Designing standard templates for forecasting budget requirements that encompass base budget allocations, carryover allocations, and distribution of appropriation increases or decreases
- Developing consistent calendarizations leading to clear, unambiguous due dates to which both Budget Owners and FP&A are held accountable
- Reducing reliance on a) Excel to collect budget inputs and generate budget allocation output, b) external data entry consultant, c) single “master” spreadsheet that cannot be easily modified to reflect changing requirements, and d) manual intervention for any entries that are out of the ordinary
- Creating norms of and formats for communication among Budget Owners, FP&A, and the SLT/CEO on budget builds and performance management
- In conjunction with the Corporate Strategy Director, developing guidance and templates that assure connectivity between strategy and budgets
- Developing templates and reports with key performance indicators/metrics that are useful to Budget Owners, the CFO, and the SLT/CEO
- Developing ad hoc and standard reports that focus on data and provide appropriate storylines to support the analysis
- Ensuring workflows within FP&A and between FP&A and Budget Owners are clear and consistent and not ad hoc; ensure that Finance IT systems support these workflows
- Ensuring that financial data is collected, configured, and stored to allow deep analysis of unit costs and enables the identification of best and worst practices (e.g., the Language Services can identify the unit cost of producing content on a given platform)
- Defining a clear delineation of responsibilities for closing between Comptroller and Data Science & Analytics (see also Working with the Comptroller below)
- Developing a culture within FP&A of 1) continuous improvement through the review and correction of inadequacies in process and procedures, and 2) customer support
Works with and directs the Financial IT Manager to ensure RFE/RL’s data systems are structured to best capture, store, and assure easy access to data and information to include:
- Architecting and implementing improvements to RFE/RL’s ERP system that reduces reliance on a) Excel to collect budget inputs and generate budget allocation output, b) external data entry consultant, c) a single “master” spreadsheet that cannot be easily modified to reflect changing requirements, and d) manual intervention for any entries that are out of the ordinary (see also “Working with the FP&A Director” above)
- Developing the architecture and continuous improvement of a well-integrated budgeting and reporting tool, including the conceptualization of required changes in workflow between Budget Owners and FP&A in order to assure the most efficient use of the tool
- Defining the required output of financial information tools to ensure systems are architected to easily draw data to respond to myriad standard and ad hoc USAGM requests
Works with the Comptroller to ensure a) RFE/RL’s accounting systems capture transactions accurately and consistently; b) data is captured in formats that enable efficient reporting, whether to USAGM, the IRS, DOL, or other stakeholders; and c) control systems are automated and follow best practices to include:
- Developing processes that assure timely monthly, quarterly, and annual closings, enabling the distribution of timely budget performance reports and other financial reports, including 990s, 5500, GAAP, Uniform Guidance, VEBA, and the like
- Defining a clear delineation of responsibilities for the monthly, quarterly, and annual closings
- Creating a taxonomy of terminology for general ledger entries to ensure consistent assignment of expenditures to cost objectives and reduces/eliminates the necessity to conduct manual reviews
- Reducing/eliminating manual analysis of journal entries to determine correct assignment of costs particularly a) for costs related to carryover items, and b) the accumulation of accruals
Works with the Director, Procurement to ensure that the purchasing and contracting function is automated and follows best practices to include:
- Creating consistent workflows within Procurement and between Procurement and technology owners
- Creating a single or integrated information system that provides centralization of contract information
- Defining clear delineation of responsibilities between Procurement and technical staff
Works with the Director, Risk & Compliance to ensure data is readily accessible to ensure compliance strategies are working to include:
- In conjunction with the Financial IT Manager, ensuring that financial systems provide adequate controls consistent with the R&C Director’s requirements and lend themselves to appropriate testing of those controls
- Reviewing policies and procedures that ensure compliance and assisting in promulgating those requirements throughout the enterprise
- Works with the Director, Corporate Strategy to develop guidelines, criteria, and templates for ensuring alignment of budgets to strategy
- Creates forums within the Finance Division for raising issues that require multiple departments to define a problem and craft a solution
- Participates with the CFO and the Finance leadership team in evaluating the Finance Division’s progress toward its long-term goals and in updating and refining its strategies for achieving those goals
Deputizes for the CFO in instances where the CFO is unavailable.
- BA degree in business administration or related field (mandatory); MBA or the equivalent in experience (strongly preferred)
- Prior experience and track record in process improvement theory and practice in a similar process improvement role in delivering better systems, policies and procedures, decision support, and enabling strategic initiatives that help to improve organizational financial performance (mandatory)
- Minimum 8 years of experience advancing process improvements in a finance function or with relevant experience in strategy/management consulting or corporate finance (mandatory)
- Global international or multi-national experience (strongly preferred)
- Culturally facile with familiarity with a multi-office, multi-national organizational environment and an ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff and clients.
- Strong analytical skills, with the ability to develop process-driven financial control systems within a complex international organization
- Solution Builder, who can work independently across RFE/RL teams and locations to improve our compliance controls.
- Proven leadership qualities in an international organization with strong verbal and written communication skills and a demonstrated ability to communicate complex information clearly and concisely to a wide range of audiences, including RFE/RL senior management.
- Risk Strategist with in-depth experience and know-how building financial risk management control processes in an international work environment.
- Ethics Subject Matter Expert with knowledge of the standards for the Professional Practice of Internal Auditing and the Code of Ethics as developed by the Institute of Internal Auditors.
- Discrete having had experience handling confidential, sensitive data and issues with a high degree of discretion.
- Strength of character, demonstrating integrity, objectivity, and competence necessary to build trust in their position and work effectively across the RFE/RL organization.
- Self-starter who is highly organized, detail-oriented, and has the ability to take initiative and work both independently and as member of a team.
- Willingness to travel internationally (25%) with sensitivity to different cultures and world views, with previous experience working across multicultural teams.
Business and Interpersonal Skills:
- Superior analytical and problem-solving skills, with demonstrated ability for critical thinking and informed strategic business decision making
- Ability to adapt to a dynamic, rapidly changing business environment
- Proven leadership success, with persuasive communication, active listening, and learning, writing, and presentation skills, including the ability to lead by influence rather than by command
- Elevated level of initiative and motivation to achieve goals
- Effective relationship building “customer service” approach and people management skills with ability to build trust with a variety of internal and external stakeholders
- Elevated level of initiative and motivation to achieve strategic goals
- End-user knowledge of enterprise information and database systems
- Ability to handle projects with multiple work streams, with demonstrated leadership success over a wide variety of business problems and organizational planning,
- Effective time management skills with ability to quickly anticipate, trouble-shoot, and resolve problems
- English language (Working Knowledge Oral+Written) (mandatory)
- RFE/RL target geography language is a plus.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.