We are looking for a talented Associate Photo Editor. In this position you will be is responsible for selecting photos and responding to Language Service and Central Newsrooms requests for images suitable for news and feature stories. You must be able to make regular pitches for photo galleries based on agency or Language Service images and prepare approved pitches for editing and publication. The Associate Photo Editor monitors images, captioning, and crediting quality in RFE/RL’s Media Databases to optimize search and retrieval capabilities. He/she will ensure that copyright laws are observed across RFE/RL platforms. The Associate Photo Editor will seek permissions as needed for images via social media. The incumbent will be expected to be involved in daily editorial decisions, giving guidance on how to use visual material to tell that day's news. The Associate Photo Editor is responsible for ensuring that photographs are well organized in RFE/RL's photo database and also work with Pangea CMS on improving functionality. He/she will provide support for all users of contracted photo agencies and handle training as necessary. The Associate Photo Editor will act as a point of contact for outside journalists regarding RFE/RL images. He/she helps makes sure that the best possible images are used for stories on RFE/RL’s English-language site.
• Selects images from photo agencies and language services for coverage of the daily news on RFE/RL platforms
• Writes, edits, corrects metadata across media databases; maintains quality assurance of metadata and media assets.
• Monitors photo databases for potential copyright violations to protect the company from significant legal issues.
• Works with Central Newsroom correspondents and editors to find images that best illustrate the subjects of their reports.
• Sources appropriate pictures and images for assigned projects and undertakes relevant research.
• Pitch and prepare photo galleries for publication
• Performs photo editing and image quality optimization.
• Assists with translations
• Trains RFE/RL staff on applicable aspects of photo copyright and licensing rules.
• Work with outside journalists on photo-related projects.
• Maintains and monitors photo content on USAGM Direct website for access by outside media companies.
• Regularly works to improve Photo Desk workflow and interactions with Pangea.
Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Bachelor degree in Communications, Library or Information Science, Graphic Design, or related field, mandatory.
• Relevant training as an image editor, or image archivist or librarian.
• Knowledge of digital photo editing, mandatory.
• Minimum of three years’ experience with media (image, video, audio) databases, catalogs, or libraries.
• Demonstrated knowledge of descriptive metadata for digital media and file management.
• Basic-to-intermediate knowledge of rights management, intellectual property, and copyright for digital media.
• Exceptional attention to detail and accuracy in record keeping, mandatory.
• Knowledge and familiarity with RFERL’s coverage areas and subject matter, preferred.
• Ability to communicate with people effectively and work within a team, mandatory.
• Ability to learn complex subjects quickly including new technologies, mandatory.
• Ability to work independently and to also accept supervision, mandatory.
• Experience with video editing, preferred.
• Strong customer service orientation and knowledge of user needs, mandatory.
• Willingness to work flexible hours, evening shifts, and weekends, mandatory.
• English language (Proficient), mandatory.
• Broadcast region language, desirable.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.
By replying to this advertisement or sending your CV and/or other personal data to RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty, you are agreeing to having your data saved and managed by employees of the HR department of the company for possible future reference in full accordance with the Regulation (EU) 2016/679 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 27 April 2016 on the protection of natural persons with regard to the processing of personal data and on the free movement of such data, and repealing Directive 95/46/EC (General Data Protection Regulation) GDPR and Act No 110/2019 Coll., on personal data processing. This agreement may only be withdrawn by a written revocation and remains valid until that date. However no longer than 5 years.
Odpovědí na tento inzerát či zasláním Vašeho životopisu a případných dalších osobních materiálů do společnosti RadioFreeEurope/RadioLiberty dáváte souhlas ke zpracování a uchování Vašich osobních údajů dle Nařízení Evropského parlamentu a Rady (EU) 2016/679 ze dne 27. dubna 2016 o ochraně fyzických osob v souvislosti se zpracováním osobních údajů a o volném pohybu těchto údajů a o zrušení směrnice 95/46/ES (obecné nařízení o ochraně osobních údajů), dále jen GDPR a zákona č. 110/2019 Sb., o zpracování osobních údajů. Tento souhlas platí až do jeho odvolání písemnou formou, maximálně však po dobu 5 let.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Job Applicants
RFE/RL, Inc. is a private, nonprofit corporation funded by a grant from the U.S. Congress through the U.S. Agency for Global Media (USAGM). Due to RFE/RL’s special character, the countries in which RFE/RL operates, and the type of work RFE/RL performs, it is RFE/RL's obligation to verify the accuracy of information provided by each applicant in order to ensure the safety and security of our employees and workplace. RFE/RL must ensure that everybody who advances to the final stage of the selection process for a position at RFE/RL and who wishes to enter into an employment relationship with RFE/RL must undergo pre-employment background check.
With respect to the above, RFE/RL informs you, as an applicant, that your employment at RFE/RL is contingent on the successful completion of pre-employment check.
Therefore after your acceptance of RFE/RL‘s offer letter, you will be subject of pre-employment check (performed by external Czech entity). Detailed information about collection and processing of your personal data in this matter will be provided to you together with the offer letter.
Privacy Notice for RFE/RL Internship or Fellowship Applicants
The process described above largely applies to applicants for internships and fellowships as well – simply replace the word “employment” with “internship” or “fellowship” as applicable.