Reporting to the Director, Pangea Digital, the Software Architect is responsible for overall general architecture and design of digital content software solutions, choice of appropriate technologies, and technical excellence of in-house software development projects in Pangea Digital department.
What we do and what we offer:
What we do in Pangea Digital:
We are a team of web developers, testers, designers, product managers, systems administrators and customer care specialists who build customize web solutions for Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, Voice of America, Middle East Broadcasting Networks and Office of Cuban Broadcasting.
We design and develop News Websites, Mobile Apps, Smart TV Apps, our custom Pangea Content Management System, Media Asset Management System – for more information about Pangea products look at http://www.pangea-cms.com/ and about Pangea team at www.facebook.com/PangeaCMS.
What we can offer:
• A unique, multinational employer with a great history and presence in providing accurate and reliable news and information to domestic audiences in the local languages (rferl.org).
• Work on content management systems for journalists who make difference in the world (more than 100 websites in more than 50 languages).
• Competitive salary.
• Good benefits package: Vacation (after three years of service - 25 days), Holidays (a corporate holiday schedule with holidays added to Czech statutory holidays), Fitness Benefit (membership in a fitness center network), Sick Leave (13 workdays of paid sick leave per year), Medical Care on Premises, Public Transportation Pass, Meal Allowance, Summer Allowance, Retirement Savings Program, Language Courses, Life Insurance, Relocation Benefit (One-way travel and transportation expenses for employees hired outside the Czech Republic).
• Training and development opportunities – internal and external.
• Friendly team and positive working environment.
• Permanent employment (after one-year contract).
Responsibilities and Requirements:
• In a collaborative way, makes high-level software design choices, such as deciding what technologies and design patterns to use.
• Develops and maintains sets of software development best practices and standards for the RFE/RL Pangea Digital.
• Defines and documents the architecture of software components, communicates it to the management and to Pangea team.
• Works on improving existing software solutions.
• Takes responsibility and leadership in ensuring technical excellence of Pangea Digital software projects. Anticipates technological evolutions and makes sure Pangea Digital software solutions stay at the industry cutting edge.
• Through respective Senior Software Engineers oversees the activities of software development team and is aware of the status of all ongoing programming efforts.
• Works with Pangea management on defining task priorities, technical specifications, time estimates, and delivery plans.
• Ensures that Pangea development team reacts to emergency situations to fix urgent issues, such as site service outages and other critical problem.
• Proven track record in software architect’s role.
• Previous experience in a software developer position.
• Knowledge of Pangea Digital technology stack:
o C# and .NET platform;
o JS(TS) / CSS(SASS) / HTML; jQuery / ReactJS;
o MS SQL (T-SQL), ASP.NET MVC / Web API;
o HTTP, AJAX, CORS, Web Services, SSL);
o GIT, Visual Studio, FFmpeg.
• Ability to work with others on a team - be a team player, interacting and operating effectively with others within a collegial, and yet demanding work environment.
• Thorough understanding of modern web technologies and software architecture;
• Ability to write software code and actively contribute to day-to-day programming efforts, if necessary.
• People management, mentoring and coaching.
• University degree (Bsc/Msc) in Computer Science or related field.
• English language is a must, Czech language nice to have.
Should you be interested in this position please apply by submitting your CV and a cover letter in English.
Appointment against this post is on a local basis only. Please note that for the locally advertised positions preference will be given to those with a work permit and/or a valid residence status in the Czech Republic. Locally recruited employees should reside within commuting distance of Prague, Czech Republic, or be willing to move to take up work. They are not eligible for allowances applicable to candidates who are internationally recruited. Rather, they receive statutory benefits as per Czech labor law. Salary scales for locally recruited employees are based on the best prevailing local conditions. RFE/RL does, however, cover the costs of interview travel and, upon appointment, some relocation costs.
Note: In response to changing operational requirements, RFE/RL retains the discretion not to make an appointment, or to modify the job specifications for a particular vacancy.